"Students with Disabilities in Palestinian Universities between Reality and Ambition" Conference
QADER for Community Development, in cooperation with Bethlehem University, have organized a conference entitled "Students with Disabilities in Palestinian Universities between Reality and Ambition"
The conference was held to empower the issues of students with disabilities and their rights and put them in the decision makers’ priorities. The conference aims to develop appropriate solutions to the challenges they face in higher education institutions.
The rights of students with disabilities are an integral part of human rights that are guaranteed by international laws and conventions; including the Comprehensive and Integral Convention on Disability Rights, the Palestinian Basic Law and the Law of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. Accordingly, the conference was an initiative step towards the cooperation with the relevant authorities to unify the efforts of national government and private organizations to build rules that are dedicate to the rights of students with disabilities in a number of areas including
- University buildings and facilities that reflect the requirements of appropriate mobility for students with disabilities.
- Professional policies and regulations that show how to deal with their issues and rights.
- University services that provide them with a satisfactory, comfortable and dignified learning atmosphere.
- National references that are on the level of the Ministry of Education, Higher Education and local universities and colleges; actual committed national approach.
- University-trained staffs have the required skills and awareness of students with disabilities and their rights